The Martin 000-28EC Eric Clapton Signature acoustic guitar sides and back are constructed from solid East Indian rosewood. This model is based on the guitar Eric Clapton chose for his famous and extremely influential MTV Unplugged performance.
On 16 January 1992, Eric Clapton performed for a small audience at Bray Film Studios in Windsor England. This iconic performance for the MTV Unplugged TV series would spawn an accompanying album that would become his best selling with 26 million copies worldwide. His guitar of choice was the Martin 000-28.
The MTV Unplugged performance had many effects on the popularity of this model, Eric Clapton’s career, and the Martin Guitar Company itself. At the time, interest in Martin guitars was dangerously low. Immediately after the performance aired – the next day – demand skyrocketed and Martin was able to resume full production. For Clapton, it marked a shift from electric blues and rock to acoustic material, and the album from the performance won six Grammy awards and became his best selling album.
While the Martin 000-28EC Eric Clapton Signature Model shares many of the same features as the standard 000-28, at Eric’s request it features a modified V neck profile and standard neck taper along with his inlaid signature at the end of the fretboard.
The classic pairing of Sitka spruce top and Indian rosewood sides and back produces a rich well balanced tone and the scalloped x bracing pattern boosts bass response and volume.
The top is book-matched from select quartersawn Sitka spruce, and the rosette, as well as the perimeter of the sound-boards, are inlaid with finely patterned herringbone wood marquetry.
This version has the 1935 sunburst finish.
The body is bound with grained ivoroid. A genuine ebony fingerboard features the pre-war Style 28 snowflake pattern in a blond pearl, and Eric Clapton's signature is inlaid in mother-of-pearl between the 19th and 20th frets.
Each 000-28-EC bears an interior label, individually numbered in sequence.
Includes hard shell case.
- CONSTRUCTION: Mahogany Blocks/Dovetail Neck Joint.
- BODY SIZE: 000-14 Fret.
- TOP: Solid Sitka Spruce.
- ROSETTE: Fine Herringbone.
- TOP BRACING PATTERN: Standard X scalloped.
- TOP BRACES: Solid Sitka spruce 5/16in.
- BACK MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood.
- BACK PURFLING: HD Zig Zag.
- SIDE MATERIAL: Solid East Indian Rosewood.
- ENDPIECE: Grained Ivoroid.
- ENDPIECE INLAY: Black/White Boltaron.
- BINDING: Grained Ivoroid.
- SIDE INLAY: none.
- BACK INLAY: B/W Boltaron.
- NECK MATERIAL: Select hardwood.
- NECK SHAPE: Modified VBone White Corian.
- HEADSTOCK: Solid/Diamond/Square Tapered.
- HEADPLATE: Solid Indian Rosewood.
- HEELCAP: Grained Ivoroid.
- FINGERBOARD MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony.
- SCALE LENGTH: 24.9in.
- NUMBER OF FRETS CLEAR: 14.
- NUMBER OF FRETS TOTAL: 20.
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT NUT: 1-3/4in.
- FINGERBOARD WIDTH AT 12TH FRET: 2-1/4in.
- FINGERBOARD POSITION INLAYS: Diamond & Squares- Long Pattern.
- FINGERBOARD BINDING: none.
- FINISH BACK & SIDES: Polished Gloss/ Dark Filler.
- FINISH TOP: Polished Gloss/ 1935 Sunburst.
- FINISH NECK: Polished Gloss.
- BRIDGE MATERIAL: Solid Black Ebony.
- BRIDGE STYLE: Belly.
- BRIDGE STRING SPACING: 2-1/4in.
- SADDLE: 16in Radius/Compensated/Bone.
- TUNING MACHINES: Nickel Open-Geared w/ Butterbean Knobs.
- RECOMMENDED STRINGS: Martin MEC12 Light Phosphor Bronze.
- BRIDGE & END PINS: White w/ Black Dots.
- PICKGUARD: Tortoise Colour/Beveled and Polished.
- CASE: 533 Geib Style.
- INTERIOR LABEL: Label Signed By C.F. Martin IV and Eric Clapton.