The Fender Eric Johnson Virginia Stratocaster, is a rare, modified, sassafras-bodied 1954 Stratocaster (named after a label found inside the pickup routes) was behind Eric Johnson's career defining 1988 Austin City Limits performance. Limited to 50 instruments worldwide and built by Fender MasterBuilder Carlos Lopez, the Eric Johnson Virginia Stratocaster is a 1:1 replica of this iconic instrument.
Very few musical artists are ever able to achieve a true signature style - a sometimes-undefinable sound which makes comparisons to other musicians impossible. But Texas guitarist Eric Johnson comes as close as any musician from the past quarter-century.
Featuring a Deluxe Closet Classic finish package, this guitar wears a lightly checked lacquer finish, matched to Closet Classic hardware, giving it a well-loved, slightly aged look. The offset-seam, two-piece body is crafted from tight-grained sassafras, which adds a “round” note to the instrument’s voice.
The AAAA flame maple neck features a “V”-shaped profile that comfortably fills the hand and hosts a 12”-radius maple fingerboard with 21 jumbo frets. Custom, hand-wound “Virginia” neck and middle pickups, matched to a fat-sounding DiMarzio HS2 humbucking bridge pickup powers this guitar’s voice. This trio of pickups are connected by custom wiring and a 5-way pickup switch which places the pickup pair in-phase in switch position two and out-of-phase in position four, unlocking his singing, violin-like tone for you to enjoy.
Other features include single-ply Eggshell pickguard, vintage-style EJ synchronized tremolo assembly, vintage-style tuning machines, American Vintage string tree with nylon spacer and as a special touch, a piece of masking tape inside the control route labelled “Virginia”. Includes custom pure nickel string set for vintage-informed tone, deluxe hardshell case, strap and Certificate of Authenticity.
- Colour: 2-Colour Sunburst.
- Body type: double cutaway.
- Finish: nitrocellulose.
- Neck wood: One-piece maple, 12-inch radius.
- Neck shape: soft V.
- Body wood: light 2-piece alder body, 57-style.
- Machine heads: staggered vintage style.
- Number of frets: 21 highly polished Medium Jumbo.
- Pickguard: 1-ply parchment (8 holes).
- Scale length: 25.5 inches.
- Pickups: Three Special Design Custom Shop Eric Johnson Pickups with countersink screws.
- Controls: master volume, neck tone, bridge tone.
- Bridge/tailpiece: vintage Tremolo with five springs.
- Pickup switching: 5-way switch.
- Hardware: nickel/chrome.
- Hardshell case included.